Nowadays there are various nutritional supplements for dogs available in the market creating thereby a confusion regarding what is best for our dog’s diet and for which products would best ensure not only the longevity of our dogs but also a long life free of disease.
Most dog owners must have heard about the health benefits of various fish oils for dogs. However, there is a variety of oils that you can use in your dog’s diet, and each one of them has different attributes and health benefits. Most of the benefits of coconut oil come from mid-chain triglycerides (MCT's). For example, lauric acid in coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid also have similar properties, and are better known for their anti-fungal effects. Furthermore, MCTs are metabolized effectively and, thus, provide a direct source of energy. They even contribute to the balanced functioning of the thyroid by helping overweight dogs lose weight, and add energy to dogs that do not exercise often.
According to Dr. Bruce Fife (certified nutritionist and homeopathist), coconut oil slightly increases metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects against diseases, and accelerates healing. Still coconut oil improves the dog’s coat and digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.
The inclusion of coconut oil in your dog’s diet could have many benefits:
- It helps in skin diseases such as eczema, flea allergies, dermatitis and itchy skin
- It reduces the allergic reactions and improves the overall skin health
- It makes the coat smooth and glossy, and moisturizes it
- It prevents its unpleasant odor, and treats fungal infections, including candida
- When applied locally, it disinfects cuts and scratches; helps dry skin and coat; promotes healing of wounds, of hot spots and of insect bites
- It improves the digestion and the absorption of nutrients
- It helps in the healing of digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and colitis
- It reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
- It helps in eliminating hairballs and cough
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health
- It contains strong antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties and elements that prevent infections and diseases
- It regulates the balance of insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- It helps in weight loss and increases energy
- Helps arthritis or ligament problems
Dr. Karen Becker notes: “Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) have been shown to improve energy metabolism in the brain, and to reduce the accumulation of amyloid proteins that lead to brain damage in large dogs. Coconut oil is a rich source of MCTs”.
Recommended Serving: 1/4 teaspoon for every 4,5kg of body weight, twice a day.Source: dogsnaturallymagazine, allaboutdog.gr -